- Read. Read lots more. So far this resolution is taking off pretty well, in the middle of “Bitch Is The New Black“, working on “Wolf Hall” and “Black Skin, White Masks” now. In particular I want to read up on Tudor history, Black Feminist theory, progressive black media, Moroccan architecture (I’m hooked…riad life), tech-social startups and the changing nature of diversity, financial literacy, and the Twitter timelines of a few good women.
- I resolve to watch Shamless Maya. Shamelessly. Mayously.
- Get on my grind hustle when it comes to career and ambition. What’s my end goal? Expectations? Mallika Chopra writes about intent, and how intent is more telling than goals. I loved: “Understand how much you can accomplish in one day, and “Set up your support network.” I have a habit of front-loading my mornings, and when things go awry before 10:00, it colors the rest of my afternoon. ,As far as support systems go, It’s simple–a closed mouth doesn’t get fed. I have a great support system and network, but what good is fertile soil if you don’t utilize it? This gardening metaphor will make sense soon.
- Invest in myself–that means my ambitions, career, my friendships,my relationship with God, my relationship with myself (it’s complicated between me and me), invest in my community. Not money–it’s about throwing my time and energy behind myself. It means kicking my own ass about getting to the gym, about cutting out negativity, about forgiving myself.
- Exercise, stick to cross-training cardio-heavy routine for summer and fall, see nutritionist. Cultivate an attitude and spirit of healthy living. That means gym, *not* eating the German rock sugar from Teavanna, and nutrition overhaul. Lots of the hair and skin problems (not to mention the mild anemia and iron deficiency) I have can be traced back to nutrition and diet. SSK’s and peeling nails be damned.
- Freelance work, and keep myself accountable to my career goals.
- Prep (thoroughly!) for the National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ) 2013 Convention in ORLAAANDO! This means business cards, wardrobe planning, getting my act together, clips, gel manicure, hair plans, THE WORKS. My FIRST major convention/ conference! No pressure, it’s just all of my current career and life goals manifested over the course of 4 days. Nope, no pressure at all.
- Re-center God. This means get to volunteering, working with folks outside of my immediate community, and re-centering the fact that before I was born, God already knew what would become of me, and He wouldn’t give me more than I can handle. With my faith, whenever there’s a minor crack to be exploited (fear, uncertainty, insecurity, pissed offedness, etc.) I can’t see beyond it, and the rest of my life suffers in turn. Basically, REMEMBER THIS:
- Grow something. Whether it’s a flower market potted plant or strawberries or flowers, I really want to be responsible for a living (green) thing!
- Do volunteerwork with GroundWorks Somerville, and read to babies in libraries. I love reading to babies.
- Be easy with myself and commit to quiet time and relaxation. Get out of “student” mode, have confidence in my abilities (I have them!), and keep it moving.
I have lots more goals, but these are just enough to get me going and keep me sustained! Tweet me your #summerresolutions @brionnajay